Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Beginning

I realize I'm jumping into blogging fairly late in the game.  Many blogs are already abandoned; many more will be in the near future. So why start now?  I just finished seminary.  For the first time since I began kindergarten, I don't have the regular discipline of schoolwork and related deadlines.  So, I hope that both the discipline of writing regularly and the potential scrutiny of writing publicly will prove beneficial.  I intend to record various reflections, primarily flowing out from the books that I'm reading.

 Why the title of this blog?  The title is inspired by a biography of Martin Luther I read a number of years ago, and then again more recently, entitled The Triumph of Truth: A Life of Martin Luther.  This book, itself a translation of a much longer work by the Swiss historian Jean Henri Merle d'Aubigne', is closely connected in its title with a verse from Luther's famous hymn, A Mighty Fortress Is Our God.  That verse reads:

 And though this world, with devils filled,
Should threaten to undo us,
We will not fear, for God has willed
His truth to triumph through us.

God's truth will always triumph; therefore, truth will never die.  This is the hope of the Christian, a hope which arises in the darkest moments of life and history.  God is victorious and will establish His kingdom, overcoming all powers of darkness and evil to do so.  Though we are weak jars of clay, as Paul says in 2 Corinthians 4:7, God makes His power known even and especially through us.

It is my hope that if what I write points people to Christ, He will be honored, and in some small way, the triumph of truth will be furthered.

No comments:

Post a Comment